If you love your food to have a kick to it, your fridge is probably packed full of flavorful condiments and sauces. But here’s the real kicker…most store-bought sauces aren’t doing your body any favors. They can be surprisingly unhealthy, containing huge amounts of sugar, sodium, and artificial preservatives.
So how can you enjoy food that’s nutritious and still full of flavor? Try making your own sauces at home! Phil Cormier, one of our trainers in the fit52 app, taught us his family’s recipe for a delicious Greek yogurt sauce that you can put on anything (and feel good about it)!
Here’s how to make homemade tzatziki:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, dried
- A pinch of cayenne
My mother Betty’s side of the family is of Greek descent. Growing up, she always made homemade Greek food but the one staple she always had on-hand was homemade tzatziki. You can use this on meat, raw veggies, tacos, and as a party dip. It’s high in protein, low in fat, and extremely versatile.
- Shred the cucumber into thin strips.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain out all the juice from the shredded cucumber. You won’t need the cucumber juice for the tzatziki, so set it aside.
- Add all your ingredients into a bowl and whip with a spatula until combined.
Enjoy! If you find yourself craving more, this recipe is very easy to double or even triple with a 750ml yogurt container.
Save the cucumber juice for your morning smoothie!
Find your path to nutrition, wellness, and fitness with the fit52 life. Download fit52 now.